#ICYMI – 2018, A Year In Interviews
Answering a fan question about what he would like to achieve in 2018, Paul answered:
'I’ll probably be putting out a new album. So, I’d like that to be something I really love and then hopefully the fans will love it too! We’re putting the finishing touches to it now and at the beginning of next year. So, I would like to achieve making that a really great album. Fingers crossed! That’s not what it’s called, but fingers crossed! [Pauses] It could be… it COULD be the new album title!'
As we know, Paul did indeed put out his new album, titling it Egypt Station, not Fingers Crossed - and fans and critics alike did indeed love it. (So did we!) As part of letting the world hear about the record, Paul spoke with a number of publications as well as appearing on shows such as ‘Carpool Karaoke’, the Number One trending YouTube video of 2018 in the UK!
In case you missed them the first time around, we’ve collected together some of our favourites from the year to keep you busy over the holidays. Check them out below…
• DIY Magazine: To launch his Egypt Station album, Paul spoke with DIY Magazine. Read the DIY Magazine interview HERE!
• GQ Magazine: One of the most talked about interviews of the year came courtesy of GQ. Read the GQ Magazine interview HERE!
• NME.com: Some people heard ‘Fuh You’, others heard something else, including one of Paul’s daughters. Read Paul discussing ‘Fuh You’ and Egypt Station with NME.com HERE!
• Sunday Times: Following Paul's July gig at Abbey Road Studios, he gave Stormzy a quick piano lesson! Read more HERE![Note: Story behind paywall]
• WTF: Are you a Beatles or a Stones fan. You obviously can’t be both! Or… it turns out you can, as Paul explains in this chat with Marc Maron in his ‘WTF’ podcast. Listen to Paul blowing Maron's mind HERE!
• Sodajerker: Paul set up the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts (LIPA) in his old school for young adults to learn about the arts. What do they do after graduation? Well, two of them set up the Sodajerker podcast. Listen to Paul chat about songwriting with them backstage at LIPA HERE!
• BBC 6Music: In a bad mood? Write a song to work through the problem. Paul explained this clever strategy to BBC’s Matt Everitt. Listen to their Egypt Station conversation HERE! [Note: Sign in required]
• BBC Online: What’s the best way to deal with crowds who are pushing and grabbing at you? Keep moving forward and be very quiet and calm about it. Listen to Paul discussing crowds and “the mad captain” from his new song ‘Despite Repeated Warnings’ HERE!
• Carpool Karaoke: Since leaving Liverpool Paul had not returned to his old home of 20 Forthlin Road, the house where he and John Lennon forged their songwriting partnership. Watch Paul return there for the first time in this very touching episode of ‘Carpool Karaoke’ HERE!
• Casual Conversation: And while Paul was in Liverpool, he also stopped by LIPA to discuss… well, all manner of things with Jarvis Cocker streaming their ‘Casual Conversation’ live on Facebook. Watch Paul and Jarvis chat HERE!
• Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: You’re in a lift in New York City, the door opens and there is Paul McCartney (and Jimmy Fallon!). What would you do? It turns out most folks freak out! Watch Paul having fun on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon HERE!
• Howard Stern: During the lead up to the release of Egypt Station, Paul sat down on Howard Stern’s couch to talk about his new release. Watch Paul and Howard Stern chat HERE!
• 60 Minutes: To kick off the new season of ’60 Minutes’, the show headed down to Paul’s home studio in the English countryside to chat. Watch the '60 Minutes' interview HERE!
• Wired: Paul answered the most Googled questions about himself. Find out if The Beatles and Elvis ever met HERE!
• Amazon: Paul discussed his #FirstAndLast with Amazon - Watch HERE!
…and here’s one last link for you. When you have an album titled Egypt Station, there really is only one station in the world impressive enough to host that release party: Grand Central Station. On September 7th, Paul brought New York commuting to a standstill to live streaming his concert on YouTube and becoming the #1 global trending video on the platform. Watch Paul’s Live from NYC HERE!
Fans can pick up their copies of Egypt Station, Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway at their local record store, or online at the links below: