'THE LYRICS: 1956 TO THE PRESENT' out Now
In this extraordinary book, with unparalleled candour, Paul recounts his life and art through the prism of 154 songs from all stages of his career.
Edited and Introduced by Paul Muldoon
Linda McCartney’s Celebrates 25 Years
It was 25 years ago today...”
Linda and Paul McCartney launched the brand now synonymous with meat free eating – ‘Linda McCartney’s’
• This very morning, 25 years ago, vegetarian food pioneer, Linda McCartney and her family, launched her meat free brand at The Savoy Hotel on 30th April 1991.
• Linda McCartney’s vision spearheaded the journey in changing attitudes around the world to vegetarianism and opened the door to meat free eating. Today over 60% of UK consumers either follow a meat free diet or are looking to reduce their meat consumption.1
• The launch came after the success of Linda’s cookbooks, ‘Linda McCartney’s Home Cooking’, one of the biggest selling vegetarian cookbooks ever in the UK.2
• Linda made a huge impact on the meat free movement with the launch of her own dishes to the market at a time back in 1991 when meat free eating was a challenging experience with little choice and taste.
• Celebrity fans Joanna Lumley, Leona Lewis and Lisa Simpson of The Simpsons join in congratulating this landmark occasion.
Linda McCartney, the original food pioneer has inspired across generations to cook and enjoy meat free meals and today her food brand celebrates their 25th anniversary.
The McCartney Family are hugely proud of this landmark anniversary and Paul, Mary and Stella say, “Linda was the inspiration for us becoming vegetarians. It is so exciting to be celebrating 25 years of her foodie legacy and see Linda’s wonderful pioneering vision of meat free eating and products go from strength to strength.”
Linda believed in great tasting, honest and wholesome food that could be celebrated in a shared experience with family and friends. Her caring and intelligent attitude embodies the heart of the Linda McCartney food brand, with each dish being inspired by Linda’s home cooking.
Such was Linda’s impact on meat free eating, in 1995, Paul and Linda were invited to make a guest appearance on The Simpsons in an episode when Lisa turns vegetarian (titled ‘Lisa The Vegetarian’). The McCartney’s were happy to oblige with one condition; Lisa must always maintain a vegetarian diet. In the episode Lisa says “I got some really good advice from Paul and Linda McCartney and I still stand by my beliefs. When will all those fools learn that you can be perfectly healthy simply eating vegetables, fruits, grains and cheese.”
Others join in the 25 salute including Joanna Lumley, Leona Lewis and even Lisa Simpson-
Lisa says, "Thanks to Linda McCartney, I am a lifelong vegetarian which is no easy feat in a family that eats pork chops for breakfast."
Joanna says, "Linda made meat free eating the norm: delicious, unapologetic and healthy. I love her for making vegetarianism the most natural thing in the world: Linda McCartney Foods fill my fridge and delights my friends, and I wouldn’t entertain without them.”
Leona adds,"Linda McCartney’s recipes have always been a staple in my vegetarian diet. She was the original pioneer, and for that I am so grateful.”
The launch of the Linda McCartney food brand in 1991 kick-started a revolution of choice in the food industry, overnight there were many more vegetarian products widely available. The McCartney’s had always wanted to provide an easy alternative and the introduction of their brand went a long way to popularising vegetarianism, not only in the supermarkets but in café’s and restaurants too. Over the years competing brands came to the market but instead of being a competitive businesswoman Linda thought the more the better.
25 years on it seems that the world is catching up with Linda’s beliefs with more people than ever before adopting meat free eating.
Linda McCartney’s delicious, high-quality vegetarian dishes are continuously developing to meet the latest consumer trends by adding new and innovative products that never compromise on quality to its frozen and chilled ranges. The McCartney family are committed to playing a central role in shaping a healthy future for vegetarianism and meat free living.
1 – Source: Hain Daniels Quant Research 2014
2 – A historical dictionary of British Women – Cathy Hartley, 15 April 2013
For more inspiration, visit the website at http://www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk